The tasting is a special treat
Experts judge and enjoy a ham or a sausage with all senses: decisive is the appearance, the texture when biting into it, the smell as well as the flavour – and last, but not least, the typical “cracking” sound when you bite into a sausage. To ensure that the flavour of every product can be experienced to the full, the tasting always begins with the milder range of products. The products with the most intensive flavours are then tested at the end of the tasting round.
Dry-cured ham is characterised by its typical cured flavour. This is derived from the cured colour, the cured smell and the cured flavour. In addition to this, the Black Forest ham has a typical spicy and smoky flavour. Our tip: we recommend you try for yourself, to find out which kind of ham best suits your palate. In doing so, you should always ensure that the following external conditions are present:
- The atmosphere should, if possible, be devoid of other distracting and disturbing smells.
- Prior to the testing, one should not have smoked or eaten really spicy foods, as this will impact the sensory impact.
- The use of perfume is to be avoided.
- The tasting should not be carried out when hungry.
- The room should be well lit.
- White bread and mineral water or unsweetened herbal tea should be at hand so as to neutralize your palate.